Because your iPod contains a high-capacity drive, you can use it to move all your music from your old computer to the new one.
iPod, iTunes 9, iTunes 8 for Mac, iTunes 8 for Windows, iTunes 7 for Windows, iTunes 7 for Mac, Microsoft Windows
Notes before you start:
- This document does not apply to iPod touch.
- Windows operating systems don't recognize Mac OS-formatted disks (HFS or HFS Plus formats), so you can't use a Mac-formatted iPod to move your music to a Windows PC. See iPod: How to determine iPod's hard disk format if you're not sure how your iPod is formatted.
- You can use the Transfer iPod to iTunes option under the File menu to copy iTunes Store purchases from iPod to another computer. You cannot, however, transfer songs from other sources from the iPod library to iTunes. You'll need to follow the steps below to use iPod as a hard disk to transfer music files from one computer to another. This process will require the use of iTunes 7 or later on all computers. You will need to update any computers with iTunes 6 or earlier to follow these steps. Download the latest version of iTunes. After you have the files transferred, you'll need to authorize any iTunes Store content. If you won't be using your old computer, you can deauthorize it.
- If you do not have access to a CD or DVD burner and do not have an iPod, you may also use an external hard drive to back up your iTunes Library from your older computer and then restore it to your newer computer.
Guide: How to transfer music from iPod to iTunes
Preparation: Free download and install iPod to PC Transfer and you also need iTunes installed, though there is no need to run iTunes..
Step 1: Connect iPod to PC, and launch iPod to PC Transfer program, all information about your iPod will be shown in detail.
Step 2: Check the items
1) In the "iPod" list, click "Audio" item to display all the music files on the main interface, check the songs you wanna transfer to iTunes.
2) Moreover, click “purchases” item under "iPod" list and you will find the songs and videos that you purchased from App store. Check the purchased items to move to iTunes.
Step 3: Click "Export to iTunes Library" button to start backup iPod to iTunes process.
Besides copy files from iPod/iPhone/iPad to iTunes, this superb iPod to PC Transfer also supports backup iPod to PC and transfer music/movies/photos from local drive to Apple device without iTunes.